Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ears

Posted by jetlag98 OHIO (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 12:31

Last year I was given 2 EE bulbs(giant green), which did very well. Before the first frost I brought them inside, clipped the stalks and allowed them to dry for 10 days before wrapping them in newspaper for the winter. I have just unwrapped them and put them in a 5 gal pail with good, wet topsoil. The bulbs are VERY light in weight and appear very dry. No sprouts appeared over winter. Could these have rotted?? or is this normal? Should I just keep them wet and wait to see?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ears

It sounds like they maybe dried up over the winter. Were they stored in a good cool area? Did you notice if they were firm as opposed to soft and spongy, or papery?

My neighbor digs hers each fall, and stores then in a cool place, and they are still heavy and firm in the Spring.

From what you describe, I sort of doubt if they are any good. I would however give them a chance before digging into them to see what they might be doing.

Sue

o

These are dry and papery. I have them planted and will see what happens. They were stored in wrapped newspaper and then hung in pantyhose ( as suggested by others), but I'm kinda feeling these may be finished. Next recourse is to buy more and try again :-(((

o

Below is an old but very interesting read about buying Taro in the grocery veggie section of the supermarket, as opposed to buying it at a nursery or the garden section of a big box store.

It 'might' be worth looking into to say some $$, and to see what you get.

Taro are Elephant Ears

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: getting Taro from the grocery store

o

Is it always called Taro? Actually, I should be asking what the roots look likethere are ethnic groceries here but the signs are usually not in English. Would Korean groceries have them?

o

Is it always called Taro?

In the grocery I think it is called Taro....oh, but you mean what would it be called if it was not in English...hmmm...

Taro are elephant ears, but not all elephant ears are Taro...like the running kinds that can even live in water, I think.

You should be able to get them in a fair sized supermarket or WM grocery. From the link above, it sounds like they may be a seasonable item. I think I have seen them both at WM produce dept, as well as a local supermarket.

Would Korean groceries have them?
I would think so, if they were in season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images of Taro Bulbs

o

Wow! I have definitely seen these in the grocery store...now I just have to remember which one!

o

We can leave them in the ground here over winter, although the foliage is always frosted back to the root. I have dug them and kept them potted in a loose mix through the winter kept above freezing, with no roting or losses. If I am growing them in containers I put them in a cold frame over winter with no loss of foliage. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here