Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis stalk turned WHITE!

Posted by bosewichte 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 13:18

I had a really healthy amaryllis that bloomed several times last year, and then withered up a bit. I'd read that amaryllis need a dormant period, so I took it to the basement, meaning to bring it up in 6 week's time. But...I forgot about it. My husband found it yesterday, after months and months in the basement. It was bone dry, but there was a 5 inch stalk coming up. Here's the unusual thing: it was WHITE. It seems sturdy but is absolutely bleached of color, and so are the little triangles of leaves pushing up through the bulb itself. I repotted it and have it in the sun now, but I've never heard of this happening. Does it sound like I'll be able to salvage it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis stalk turned WHITE!

I'm assuming that there was very little, if any light in the basement, thus the stalk and foliage being white. I think it would be best to not immediately put it into sun, but maybe slowly introduce it to some light, and them more light after a bit of time. I think that taking it from darkness, and putting it immediately in the sun would be harmful since growth has started.

Besides other answers you might get here, you might want to also ask at the link below. I'm sure others have done such things to their Amaryllis.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here