Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladiums and Frost

Posted by lovetogarden z4 NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 13:25

I have a huge planter on my porch filled with Caladium bulbs I started in my house. The weather is going down into the low 30s tonight and tomorrow night. Since there is no way that I can move the pot, can I leave them in pot or dig them out and hold in my house? Or will they be able to survive 2 nights of freezing cold weather? Should I take the risk? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caladiums and Frost

Maybe you could wrap them gently with newspaper, and then place a big heavy duty garbage bag over them. just my opinion.

o

Hi Dahlialady, thanks for your imput but they are already in the pot. Was wondering if I should just take them out of the pot or will they survive 2 nights of freezing weather?

o

The bulbs...are they budding up through the soil? If not....the soil should insulate them. If they are budding.....lighly mulch them with leaves, or gently wrap newspaper around the buds,then cover the whole container with a bag for insulation. You don't want to start digging out the bulbs if they are already budding and forcing their way through the soil. I'm in Montreal, a bit north of you....looks like we are in for a cold night,but no frost warning. Good luck.

o

Agree with Dahlialady, if they're not producing foliage yet, a little night frost will be fine. Being in cold, wet soil can rot Caladium bulbs though. Next year, you might want to wait until it's a little warmer to pot them up. They wait and wait for it to get warm before they wake up, and potting them up early (outside, at least) won't result in having beautiful leaves quicker. Any foliage touched by frost will be ruined. Wrapping the pot with a strand of Christmas lights can help keep it warmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here