Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinuims-growing from seed

Posted by njoynit Z8b Coastal ~seclude (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 13:28

My crinuims,they bloom heavy in spring and fall then shot a few stalks out durring the summer too. They've set alot of seed this year.

reblooming summer crinuim

The stalks do seem to be floppy as are 2 1/2 ft tall. also wondered if could collect crinuim pollon and store in fridge to use on my other crinuims.I'm guessing this ones self fertile as is the only one blooming.my others don't start till end of june.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinuims-growing from seed

• Posted by njoynit Z8b Coastal ~seclude (My Page) on
    Wed, May 20, 09 at 14:51

The seed pods

I found something had eaten on one and the seed inside had the papery husk around it and had sprouted so stuck it in flowerbed 2 grow-in-place.

Crinuim Bulbispermum seed pods

o
RE: Crinuims-growing from seed

Your crinum is C. bulbispermum, which is definitely self-fertile and produces a lot of seeds which look like small bulbs (hence the species name, which means "bulb seed"). It doesn't offset much, unlike a lot of other species and hybrids, which may be why it seeds so prolifically. They grow very easily, and you probably can store the pollen. I wouldn't bother to refrigerate it; just stick it in a closed container with a packet of silica gel (like you get in shoe boxes) or a few grains of rice to absorb any excess moisture, and put it in a cool, dark place until you're ready to use it. It's fun to hybridize Crinum, but it can be a long wait to see the results!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here