Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prunella_gw

Trying calla lily

prunella
16 years ago

I'm trying to grow Calla 'Edge of Night' and I've never grown callas before. Anybody got any tips to make this a pleasant experience for me and the bulb?

Comments (9)

• janinecollette
    16 years ago

I'd love some tips too! I put some calla bulbs in and they haven't come up yet. I put them in about 3 weeks ago.

• prunella
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Did you put your's in a pot or directly into the ground? Somewhere I read they could almost be a bog plant because they like lots of water.

• garlicgrower
    16 years ago

Give them a little patience, bone meal and warm, sunny place. I've gown them for at least 7 years. They do need protection from Japanese beetles - I have hand picked the beetles, but they get ahead of me. Or cut the flowers and take inside to enjoy. You could spray with something a gardencenter reccommends, but I have not done that -yet!
    Good luck
    Maryanne in WMass

• prunella
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If I grow it in a container and grow it outside for the summer, does it die down by itself when cooler weather comes? Or do I make a place for it in the house with my other houseplants? If at all possible I'd like to just deal with a bulb over winter rather than take up space that I really don't have. Does it need fertilizer AND bone meal or just bone meal?

• ego45
    16 years ago

I grow them in a pot (as a matter of fact in THE same pot) for 4 years. Bring them outdoor, enjoy the flowers, give them some food (maybe once or twice in a season). In August start witholding the water and let them go dormant.
    Let foliage die and bring pot and all home before frost. Keep pot dry for as long as you wish to and if you want to force them indoor for the certain date, water thoroughly once 40-45 days before the date and let it be. You may sparsly water it in that period, but do not overwater. In 15-20 days leaves will emerge from a look like bone dry soil. Then bring them to the brightest light you have in a house and water every other day. In another 2.5-3 weeks they will be ready to bloom.
    Do not fertilize before bloom time, only after.
    That's it.
    Do not take them from the pot for division more often than once in a 3-4 years. They like it tight. When time for division will come you'll find at least 7-8 times more bulbs than you originally planted. At that time completely replace all soil and start all process again. Don't forget to give your friends some of the bulbs, you'll have plenty!!!

• prunella
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ego45 for the details. I just got my plant in the mail on Wednesday so I haven't even put it in a container yet. Hope this works. Thanks!

• josephb
    16 years ago

my daughter is getting married in august and wants dark purple calla lilies for her wedding. how can I keep them with flowers untill after august the 4th and where can I find dark purple, no store I have been in carries the dark purple

• herboil
    16 years ago

I like Cala Lillies. I have about 20 plants this year, and they are of the orange type. Not sure what variety, but they are a really sweet plant. Mine tolerate drought AND love when there is lots of water.

• jackied164 z6 MA
    16 years ago

I have some I have been growing for 3 years now and am beginning to feel like they are actually pretty easy. I grow them in pots on my deck in part-sun, give them plenty of water and feed them and get 2 flushes of flowers (not really in August here thought so I am not sure about the wedding). When not in flower they are nice plants also. In fall I let them get killed by the first frost and then remove the tubers from the pots and store them in a cool room over the winter. I pot them up in the spring and either start them indoors or this year I put then out against a west wall that is very warm. The white ones just started flowering today. I have some deep purple ones that are lagging but looking like they will be great. These ones did kind of sit in the pots for about a month so be patient. I have had problems storing other "bulbs" like I do because of critters or fungus or drying but these ones are no-problemo for me.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio