Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs from old homestead.

Posted by yellowdog5 Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 14:13

I dug some jonquils and another type of spring bulb from and old homestead several days ago. I left part of the leaves on and put them in a large tub containing planting mix, 5 or 6 inches under the dirt. I plan on putting them into planters. Should I go ahead and put them in the planters now., since they have already been dug up, or should I wait until later this summer, and leave them in the dirt for now? I realize that ideally they should be dug up in late summer, but I had to get them now if I wanted them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs from old homestead.

I'd wait until later so the bulbs get the benefit of fresh mix and food for growing on over winter-spring.

Another plus would be - usuing your planters over summer for a different display and then refreshing with the bulbs and hardy cover plants for winter-spring.

o

OK, should I water or fertilize at this time?

o

If you had to break roots - and trim back the leaves - there's not much growing system left to cope with plentiful water or food. Rot is likely at one end or t'other if you're generous.

Unless you know you're going to get little or no rain for a few months to come - stick with the rainfall you get, so long as your container is well-drained (generous holes, clear of the ground).

While there are still leaves you could give something like a very dilute liquid fertiliser that is evenly balanced. The potash in the mix helps the bulb to harden off and form buds for the following year.

Let the holding tub's mix gradually dry off over the summer so the bulbs go into dormancy. Once they're hardened off and have good insulation from the soil, they don't mind being dry.

If your mix has Those Water Crystals (humph!) added, be particularly careful with watering - far more frugal than you'd be with a plain mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here