Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aren't hyacinths supposed to be fragrant?

Posted by socalgal z10CA Sunset z24 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 14:15

I have managed to keep my pink hyacinths (regular and festival) going for several years in my warm zone by digging them up each year and chilling them in the refrigerator in late fall. They're very pretty but they've never been very fragrant. Aren't hyacinths supposed to be fragrant? I'm not sure if it's worth keeping these another year, or if I should try with new ones next year that might be more fragrant.

Ruth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aren't hyacinths supposed to be fragrant?

The ones I grew this year were so fragrant I could not keep a cut stalk in the house. Maybe where you are the heat bakes them and makes them less fragrant?

o

The strength of the fragrance does vary with some varieties not as pronounced as others. I can't recall which varieties are most fragrant but I seem to remember that Carnegie (white)is good.

o

mine are deep blue and the bees LOVE to visit them every year

o

Is it possible they were English or Spanish hyacinths? They would have had a 12 to 18 inch spire with little bells dangling down the sides. Though called hyacinths, they are not Dutch hyacinths. Dutch hyacinths are fragrant. Spanish are not.

o

The regular ones (not the festivals) are definitely Dutch. I'm going to try some Carnegie next year - I've seen it recommended as fragrant in a few places.

o

I've never met a (true) hyacinth that wasn't fragrant.

Maybe purchase potted ones that are fragrant and start them that way. They should be commonly available in spring at florists and nurseries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here