Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving towns, bring bulbs? Read details please!

Posted by luyza 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 14:15

Hello, I am in zone 4, borderline 5, and I am moving from one apartment to another, an hour and a half away, same state, same zone.
I read the FAQ but I didn't find my question there.

I currently have bulbs planted outdoors, planted straight in the soil by the apartment. 6 day-lilies, 8 gladiolas, 2 hyacinths, 1 amaryllis... I know, it doesn't match at all, LOL, that's because those are bulbs that I received as grocery store gifts throughout the years :P

I hold on to those grocery store bulbs because I don't have a lot of money to spend on them myself.

In the new apartment, there won't be a deck, balcony, or lawn, so the bulbs would have to be houseplants!

Anyway, it's May now, and I will be moving in July 1st.
Those plants are about 2 feet tall now, they don't look ready to bloom anytime soon.

I hadn't stored them away before, because we didn't know we were moving!

* Question 1: So, should I bring the bulbs with me?
* Question 2: I have been trying to find resources about growing bulbs indoors, but I have only been able to find info about FORCING bulbs! Arrgggh! :-(
So, if you do grow bulbs indoors, what's your setup / can you give me some links?

Yes... I'm a gardening newbie...!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving towns, bring bulbs? Read details please!

your Amaryllis can be grown in a window without any problem at all so that one is easy. The Daylilly and Hyacinth require a clear dormancy so you need to mimic that for the winter somehow. Perhaps you could refrigerate them to give them their dormancy for the winter. The Gladioli are apparently the temperate species rather than the tropical ones you see in most yards for the summer. I suppose it depends on the species you are dealing with. If they are the ones you see for sale as hybrids everywhere you can likely lift them and store them for the winter. One of your biggest problems is that these are all full sun loving plants and that is hard to duplicate inside a house unless you want to provide some serious extra light. I grow winter growers under 400W MH lights to give them a ton of light and they do fine, but during the summer everyone goes outside in a lot of sun. Wish I could help more, but the Amaryllis is the easy one. Best of luck :o) Dan

o
RE: Moving towns, bring bulbs? Read details please!

Thanks Dan, it's true, Amaryllis should be fine indoors.

Hmm... since it's just a second floor apartment... maybe I'll ask the landlord if I can grow them in containers by the door... see how receptive he is :-P

The indoor lights would be cost prohibitive for me, but that's a good idea. Oh well. One day I will have my dream of a bathroom full of plants, haha :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here