Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Major Gladiolus problem

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 14:16

I grow glads. each year and always have the problem of frosts before they fully bloom. I read that the corms could be started early in a shallow bowl of water to get a head start. Of course I did that and just about the time they should have been planted we had a frost, and very cool weather since. It has finally warmed up today, and I have these corms, still in water, lots of roots, and many of them more than 1 foot tall. Question: do I need to harden them off before putting them out? That may take another week to ten days and heaven knows if they will survive that long just in water. Also, what about planting depth, still 5 inches? Any advice. I'll hate to lose them all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Major Gladiolus problem

Can you put them in a pot temporarily? You could put multiples in, they won't grow enough roots that you couldn't easily separate them.

I'd leave the planting depth the same.

o

I always just kept them in the basement (when I lived in OH) until it was warm enough to put them in the ground.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. Pots were not an option because I just don't have room for them. My living room window area is already filled. Purpleinopp, that's what I usually do but I wanted to get a head start so I can enjoy the blooms. In my area, the blooms usually start in September and are hit by frost. Anyway, we had a warm, wet day today and I went out and put them all in - 22 corms including some I overwintered from the last 2 years. I was amazed at how well they all grew. But the weather is crazy this year, lows of 5 degrees expected in a few days. So I don't know what Mother Nature has in store. I hope they survive.

o

Great job on keeping them (and multiplying them) so far!

Oh that sounds frustrating, quite a bit of difference between where I was in 5b central OH and where you are - much earlier frost. FWIW, down here they are about finished already - those established in previous years. I did add some new ones that are just coming up with foliage, but I don't expect those to bloom this year. Ya' never know though...

I know the crowded indoor/winter conditions all too well! It's tough deciding what to save when space is at a premium. At least in OH I had a basement for cold/dormant storage. Here, it's either inside or outside.

If you get an inside line on what Mother Nature has in store, you'll make millions!!

Sending good vibes to your bulbs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here