Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So, can you overwinter Glads...?

Posted by primavera_grower 8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 14:48

I read that you should dig up glads after they die back, but then in another place I read you could overwinter them. Because my zone is pretty warm, could I just leave them in the ground to overwinter instead of digging them up? And at one point are they supposed to be divided?
Enlighten me please.

-A seminewbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So, can you overwinter Glads...?

Yes, in your zone you can just leave them in the ground - cutting the stalks down once they brown out and die back in the fall.

Each year, the glad produces one large new corm and many cormlets - eventually the little cormlets will produce new plants which will take several years to reach blooming size. When new plants have established, you can dig them up in the fall and simply respace them to keep them from crowding eachother out.

o

Nice!! Does that apply to freesias too? Can I leave them in the ground as well? Or no? I'm planting then in the fall. Thanks.

o

We don't see freesias here - except at florists.

Freesias are hardy in zones 9-10 so they could be more work for you. They might survive in the ground if you plant them in a protected area and mulch them over the winter.

o

My glads come back every year and multiply too. I am trying freesias for the first time this year and plan to try to leave them in the ground. We'll see what happens.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 20:39

Definitely Glads can be perennial in our zones. Not just the species Glads, but the florist Glads as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here