Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain lily: need info

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 14:59

As a freebie from Easy To Grow bulbs, received a package of 12 yellow rain lilies (Zephyranthes sulphurea). No zone info on package. Im zone 5 I assume these are tender bulbs, and I should not plant them until after our last frost date?

What else do they like (rain presumably, LOL)? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain lily: need info

Zephyr lilies are very easy to grow, though, correct, they will not be hardy in the ground for you. Pot them up into good potting soil. They would be nice mixed in with other plants, I think, as their foliage is grassy. I am not familiar with sulphurea, but have reginae, another yellow one. They start blooming in mid summer here, usually three days after a rain, and repeat until frost. I should think that if you let them go somewhat dry in their pot, you could trigger blooms with a good watering.

Since I do not grow them in pots, I cannot advise on over wintering. Perhaps someone else will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here