Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holding Bulbs Over Winter

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 Z4 Maine (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 15:15

Have no cool area whatsoever in which to hold planted bulbs, but if the bulbs are not planted, is there any way to hold them safely until spring container planting time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holding Bulbs Over Winter

Do you have an area where you could bury the pots then cover them with a deep layer of mulch?

o

Unfortunately - no. Also - bulbs are not planted. Is it too cold in a frigg?

o

No unheated attached garage or basement available? Crawl space? Root cellar?

Non-hardy summer flowering bulbs/tubers/corms have a few winter storage requirements in common - they need a cool (not cold), dark space, minimal moisture (just enough to prevent dessication) and to not touch each other. A refrigerator could work but I'd want it to be set to around 50F - not much lower - and to monitor the humidity carefully. And preferrably to be dedicated to bulbs only....:-)

o

Do we know what bulbs are being asked about here? Without that info I can't really understand the question.

o

Bulbs; Iris, tulips for instance. Garage is heated - no root cellar, basement or crawl space as mentioned. Thank you for any suggestions.

o

I asked what sort of bulbs because gardengal48 gave you info on summer flowering bulbs and I realised I didn't know what types you were interested in. Not all bulbs need the same treatment. It is important information so you can get relevant advice.

Tulips are generally planted in the Autumn if you want spring flowers. Keeping them until spring before planting will severely retard their flowering. Do you live in an appartment/have no outside space? Do you want these to bloom indoors or out?

I'm having trouble imagining your situation. You have room for spring containers but you don't have room to store the planted up bulbs. Couldn't you just plant up the containers and insulate them in some way as suggested earlier? Not trying to be annoying but we still need more specific info. The more you tell us the better we can help.

Can you give us more details of exactly what the situation is and what you want to grow?

o

Live in an apartment that has a balcony. What other method can be used to insulate planted pots on the balcony for the winter? I'm thinking old blankets and tarps maybe, but need some help with that idea. Thanks for your time and effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here