Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about colchicums.

Posted by Jason_D_B 9a NE FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:00

Can colchicums grow and bloom successfully in zone 9? If not do I refigerate them like tulips? How many hours? Do they need to be cold when they bloom like tulips? Would it be easier to force them in fall and let them grow in winter when the temps are usually in the 20's to 30's at night?
-Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about colchicums.

Are your summers dry enough?

o

Yes - some of the species definitely grow in zone 9a or higher. They do better with excellent drainage and good sun otherwise the flowers fall over and look lanky.

You can leave them inground to multiply until they get overcrowded - then lift and thin out. It can take several years to reach this point.

Plant out in July on to November in fine grass, or under high deciduous trees, or in normal beds. No chilling required at all. Just get them in before they start flowering if possible. They'll flower out of the ground, with no soil at all.

They flower first. Die down. Then the leaves come up weeks later and last over winter before going dormant for summer.

o

our summers are dry to the extent that bulbous plants love it, that is untill a hurricane comes through (Theres a tropical depression only hours away)
Vetivert: thank you for the info! I'm going to buy them when they come in to the stores.

o

smivies - what makes you ask about dry summers? Have I missed something? Colchicums grow fine here and they certainly get plenty of rain all year round.

o

Sorry, they are wild in the United Kingdom? Here we have wildly growing C. autumnale. August, we are usually dry and warm month.
In my garden grow C. bizantinum , C. speciosum, C. sieboldii, which are found wild in the Mediterranean.
And because there is very dry and hot summer!

o

Colchicum autumnale is a plant of wet meadows in Central Europe.

o

Sorry I missed your question, Oleg. No, they are not native in the UK but are quite widely grown in gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here