Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils did not bloom

Posted by carriele (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 16:40

Hi. I got very few blooms from my daffodils this year. I know that I should have left the foliage intact until it died off naturally and this is probably why the lack of blooms. My question is this, I will let the foliage die off naturally this year, so will I get blooms next year or have I damaged these bulbs and should just discard them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils did not bloom

Hi carriele,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum!

My question is this, I will let the foliage die off naturally this year, so will I get blooms next year or have I damaged these bulbs and should just discard them?
If you leave the foliage in tact to die off naturally, you 'may' get more blooms next year. Very few blooms this spring could have been as a result of numerous things. One of the main reasons, in my opinion anyway, that daffs don't bloom, is that they are crowded and need dug, divided, and then replanted with good spacing between the bulbs.

If your daffs are in 'clumps' once the foliage has died back a good bit, you might want to try digging up a clump to see how many bulbs there are. If you have a lot of foliage, yet few blooms, chances are they are too crowded. You can then either replant the bulbs immediately, or else you can dry them and store them until proper planting time in the fall once the soil temperature has cooled.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodils Not Blooming?...could be numerous reasons

o
RE: Daffodils did not bloom

What zone are you in? Sometimes it depends on the weather. When I lived in Zone 7 mild winters would definitely result in fewer blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here