Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting elephant ear from bulb

Posted by kristinacatfish 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 16:53

Hi, I have had 2 smaller "elephant ears" that I've kept in water for the past 2 years and they do great.
I recieved a giant bulb thats called "elephant ear magnum" and I need to know how to start it. Should I start it in aquatic potting soil, in water, or reg potting soil? What kind of pot? Does it need lots of room in the pot?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting elephant ear from bulb

I waited for more experienced gardeners to respond and none have, to date. If I had a large elephant ear bulb I would put it in fertile, fibrous, water retentive soil in a one gallon pot and move it to a 5 gallon pot after it is going good. I think it would do best when daytime temps. get to 80 degrees or more and was put in very bright light, or light shade, and out of strong winds. I do think they can take full sun if they are at a pond's edge but have only grown one or two in pots, years ago.

o

My grandmother-in-law used to grow tremendous size elephant ears, I've never seen them grow like hers. She planted some of them in ground, which did well, but left some in large pots to bring in her sitting room in the fall. The bulbs filled the pots. The plants were almost ceiling height, just tremendous. She used regular potting soil, often mixed with garden soil. I don't think she fertilized them or anything, just kept them watered well. I've grown them in the ground, they do moderately well even without regular watering. I've never gotten anything nearly the size she did though, but I think her bulbs were the type you are talking about, & mine just regular size.

o

Actually, I think the bulbs are of the taro plant, which the Hawaians use to make Poi. They are very poisonous, unless prepared properly. The plant does get ceiling high, at least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here