Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep dug up daffs for a week and a half?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 17:00

I dug some daffodils I want to bring to a swap in a week and a half. They are tightly packed clumps, most of a dozen or more bulbs. They finished blooming a few weeks ago, and foliage is still very green. Is there anything I need to do to "keep" them for that space of time? I assume I should not split them up until I am ready to take them to the swap. THanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep dug up daffs for a week and a half?

I don't know for sure, but what I would do is, since the foliage is still green, set them where they can get some sun for the next week. Seems to me they need to continue to build up as much as they can to bloom next year.

o

You don't indicate you are going to pot them up before swapping. If you are going to swap them one bulb at a time without potting them, I would take the whole clump with the soil attached and divide them as you swap them. The person getting the bulb should plant it as soon as he gets home to let it continue to feed the bulb for next season. Al

o

No, I was not going to pot them. The most I was going to do was break up the more massive clumps (~ 12 bulbs), and probably not til the day of the swap. I figured they would stay "fresher" that way. I figured I should stand them up in a plastic tub, and not let them dry out completely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here