Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my bulbs are rooting..?

Posted by ladybugsmom192 9 - SF East Bay (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 17:04

hi there! i'm a gardener but new to bulbs, at least starting them from the bulb itself. actually i had much success starting some miniature dahlias from seeds last season. i'm not sure if i should post here on in the CA forum.

anyway, i succumbed to the bulb rack at my local HD. i've always wanted to try them, and figured i'd experiment on the HD ones and work the kinks out, before i get into the ones i really want from catalogs.

so, with that said, i have some dahlias (dinnerplate mix and arabian night), gladiolas, lillies (stargazer), and tigridia mix. i got them in march, kept them in my cool garage, and then had been hospitalized for several weeks on 3 separate occasions. so only now can i plant them.

my question is is it too late? some have root shoots already is that bad? it's the dahlias, they're in a dirt mix of some kind. the tigridia bulbs seem dried out. the glad's seem ok, but can't remember how they were before i got sick. the stargazer is definitely rooting. they all say they are second or third season bloomers if that means anything to you.

any information, recommendations, or suggestions will be extremely appreciated as i am still, at this late date, trying to plan my flower garden.

thanks!

angela :)

what should or can i do? i was so excited when i got them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my bulbs are rooting..?

Your lilies and tigridias should have been planted a month or two ago. Plant them now and hope for the best. The dahlias and glads will be fine planted now. These are all full sun plants, so I hope your location can provide that. Sorry about your hospital stays and hope that is all over. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here