Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Lily Question

Posted by pcs2008 (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 17:31

I am interested in this unique plant. I have seen the following for sale:
- Eucomis comosa ' Oakhurst' and
- Eucomis comosa ' Sparkling Burgundy'

I have also heard it called "Purple Pineapple Lily".....

Can any explain what the difference is between these?

Thanks,
Pete
SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Lily Question

Both plants have brilliant red/purple foliage and light purple blooms. Sparkling Burgundy was discovered at Plant Delights Nursery in North Carolina (South Carolina?), and, I believe, was the first purple eucomis, so it's probably better known. Oakhurst was discovered in a San Diego, California nursery. I suspect there may be a slight difference in their size, with SB being a few inches taller, but I have not seen Oakhurst.

I have seen Sparkling Burgundy at the Atlanta botanical garden. It is a very dramatic plant, in bloom or out of bloom. I have not grown it, but it's on my list for "eventually". I have three varieties of eucomis and have found them to be very easy to grow here.

It would be easier to answer your questions if you will include your state and climate zone in the future. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here