Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to mark places for bulbs

Posted by pammer55 z5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:37

Hi,

I need a way to mark my beds NOW so I can remember where I want to add bulbs in the Fall. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to mark places for bulbs

Check out the link below to an Instructable I created which shows how to make bulb location markers. You may want to use a little thicker aluminum. Some of mine have torn over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make durable plant markers

o

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the idea!

o

Golf tees.

o

You could also take photos and then label the photos. These tips are also good for when you want to identify where they are growing, so you'll remember it when you have to re-arrange the garden bed area.

o

If you want to mark your beds where you want to ADD bulbs later, use recycled soup or other food cans.
Make sure you clean them out first, then just shove the open end of the can down into the ground over where you want the bulb to be later.

o

I use tall golf tees in some areas and small rocks in other areas - with the rocks, a bigger rock means I want to add a group of daffs there, a group of five small rocks means I want to plant a group of crocus. Both of these methods work well for me in uncrowded flower beds.

o

I bought black round stones and exterior paint markers and drew names on them and placed them at the base of the plant. I'm not sure how well the paint will hold up but I figure even if it wears off, I'll still have a marker there telling me there's something planted. :o)

o

good ideas, & I love the 'personalized' ('plantalized'?) rocks!

My neighbor gave me a box full of teeny little terra cotta pots that she had bought for a craft project that she never got around to doing.

They're about 1" across the top.

I push them into the ground where I plant bulbs.

You could paint them or personalize them like the rocks.

If you do paint them, use a sealer coat on the raw terra cotta & let it dry overnight to keep your lettering from running together.

o

Great idea with the rocks.

o

Thank you both. It was a really fun and cheap project. I need a lot more though!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here