Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why don't tulips flower reliably?

Posted by shelli563 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 17:46

Why don't my tulips flower reliably year after year? I thought these were perennial. The following years, all I get are leaves with no flowers, so I plant new ones in the fall to replace these. Would pulling up the bulbs after bloom and storing them be better?

Thanks,
Shelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why don't tulips flower reliably?

• Posted by cnid z5b Ont Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, May 14, 09 at 10:38

Some types, the most common tulips, are not really meant to be perennial - they put on a great show the first year, maybe the second and that it is. There are types that will come back more reliably, but many of then look a bit different than what most people expect from a tulip - they often are shorter, limited colour range, etc. That said, if you look for Fosteriana, they are quite similar to the regular hybrids. They are called "Emperor" tulips. And the other types have many many wonderful features to recommend them - earlier, bright colours, range of sizes, they not only come back - they multiply. I hardly ever buy the regular hybrids anymore. The link I have supplied takes you through the types and comments on how perennial they are likely to be.

The more unusual tulips have actually been fairly easy to find - I get Greigii, Kaufmania, Fosteriana a big box stores. There are also good mail order places for more unusual kinds, but I am in Canada, so my sources won't help you. I don't know anything about this supplier but they have lots of variety on their website.(www.johnscheepers.com)

Here is a link that might be useful: tulip info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here