Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purnima_gw

what to do after daffodils finish blooming in tub

purnima
12 years ago

I planted daffodils in a tub and they finished blooming. I waited till the leaves dried up and then removed them. I was wondering if I need to take the bulbs out of the tub and plant them later so they bloom next year.

Purnima

Comments (5)

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

That depends on the tub and the daffodils.

If you want to use the tub over summer for a display you can tip out the bulbs and put them aside in a cool and airy-dry place until it's time to replant.

If you don't need the tub for summer you can put the whole thing out of sight and leave the bulbs in the potting mixture.

However. If the tub is not deep (around 24") what often happens is the bulbs sneak to the bottom and, when their new roots begin, they have only a small area of soil to grow in. You end up with a big mass of tangled roots all trying to escape through the drain holes.

When replanting time comes it is probably 'best' to tip out the contents of the tub and sort the bulbs for size. Put the little offsets into a separate container or directly in the ground.

Use fresh mix and replant the larger bulbs. When they start showing through you can sprinkle some slow release fertiliser on the surface and gently 'stir' it through the top inch or so of mix.

Please note: some sorts of Narcissus will be up and in full leaf far earlier in their second year than when you first bought the bulbs. For example - my paperwhites and jonquils are already in flower - and we haven't had the first frost yet. They were coming into action, with roots, back in February/March (your August-September). although the leaves were later to show above the ground.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Your bulbs are fully charged for next year and there is nothing to be gained by leaving them in the tub. We are just starting into our summer growing season and your tub could now be filled with summer flowers. Your bulbs will keep in storage after removal as has been suggested. Al

• purnima
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your advice. Will remove it from the tub.

• Marian White
    8 years ago

So you remove the dried flowers, and the excess foliage as well, or leave that. I thought maybe cutting back some of the green leaves so they don't take all the energy or goodness from the actual bulbs?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Marian, you cut back any old flower stalks but leave ALL the foliage in place until it ripens naturally and falls away. Rather than sapping the bulb of energy, the foliage re-energizes the bulb for the following season, allowing it to flower properly. Removing the foliage does the opposite and actual does sap the bulb and can prevent flowering and even impede perennialization or the ability to return in subsequent years.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia