Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinthoides hispanica & Ipheion uniflorum INVASIVE in SoCal?

Posted by aimeekitty zone 9 (SW 18) SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 18:38

Hello! I was considering buying some bulbs of Hyacinthoides hispanica & Ipheion uniflorum, but I hear varying accounts of them being invasive (or not...)

Do you think they would be a nightmare invasive in my zone? or would the spread pleasantly? I was considering putting the ipheion in my small lawn... the hyacinthoides in my flower bed.

zone 9-10 southern california, southwestern 18.

Thanks for your help,
Aimee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinthoides hispanica & Ipheion uniflorum INVASIVE in SoCal

I can verify the ipheion as being amazingly rampant. I confine it to a pot and still need to throw out handfuls every year. I also have a named cultivar (Wisley Blue ?) and it has not gotten out of hand (also in a pot).

o

Thanksn Iris gal!
it seems like I should avoid ipheion... but that other named cultivars might be ok?

Any more experiences with either?

neither of them is listed on the CA invastive plant list
http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/index.php

o

Hyacinthoides hispanica is one of the worst weeds in my garden. I was just digging and pulling more of it today. Yes, it is pretty until it spreads all over and smothers more desirable plants with it's thick foliage.

We didn't plant it. The bulbs were dormant under the sod when we removed the sod and created beds it sprang up in all of them.

I was stupid enough to plant the lily of the valley and muscari that are also extremely invasive here.

o

If your lawn grass is fairly fine and gets reasonable sun another possible could be Sparaxis for patches of colour, though not blue.

If your summer isn't too brutal then Anemone blanda and Chionodoxa can give that spring splash of blue.

Later on, provided you don't mind deadheading, dwarf Agapanthus can give a good run of blue, too.

I would definitely avoid planting bluebells of any persuasion, Ipheion, and Muscari, if I couldn't get back each year and keep their Garden Thug tendencies under control. Pots and annual thinning seem to work best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here