Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can tulips be transplanted while blooming?

Posted by wildflower3 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 18:46

I bought a mix of tulips that were supposed to be red, orange and fushia pink. What bloomed were orange, pink and white. Although it isn't a bad look, I don't want the white ones in this area. Will I kill the bulbs by moving the white ones now to a different area right now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can tulips be transplanted while blooming?

during bloom is the worst time to move *anything*. there's a good chance they won't make it.

is it feasible to mark the white ones (with a toothpick?) and move them when they go dormant instead?

o

True the CW is that they should be moved while dormant, but I would move them as soon as the flowers aren't pretty anymore, not bare-rooting like I would a dormant bulb, but more like transplanting a "regular" plant, if it's few enough plants to do so. Also done this many times with hardy, bought-in-bloom bulbs and almost always got flowers the next year, certainly no dead bulbs.

You would know best if you're likely to follow through later, but waiting in fear of killing the bulbs is not something I'd worry about. I've never killed any kind of healthy, mature bulb by moving it at any time, but I usually do it as soon as the flowers aren't pretty anymore (if that's an option, whenever if not.) That gives it a whole year to get ready to do it again.

o

I realized that in bloom or near blooming tulips should not be moved. However, I am in dilemma where a family "home house" has been sold and I must move them immediately. The species is unknown, but they are sturdy, repeat bloom, have been at this home for at least 50 years. Soil in their new location has been worked and amended. I plan on removing any stems and cutting leaves back by about 1/3, and of course will keep watered. Any thoughts on success rate or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

o

Well in your case, you can't help it to wait, so yes, you'll have to do that.

Give them all the chance to survive and make it. It's good to hear you say that they have been reblooming or naturalizing for at least 50 years. I've heard differently about tulips but it may be the specific variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here