Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Gladiolus grow through support grids

runswithscissors
12 years ago

Looking for ideas. I've wracked my brains and tried different approaches, but still haven't solved the problem. As a family tradition one row of the garden is ALWAYS reserved for glads. (yes, soldiers in a row!) My row is usually 3 feet wide and 20 feet long...my father's is way longer. The trouble is, the heavy blooms flop even though they are planted close together and sort of support one another. (Dad lets his flop and I hate that look.) What I need is some sort of support system for the whole row. It has to be moveable to aid digging and planting...it can't look tooo awful, it has to be strong enough to hold the load...plus it has to be stored for winter in a practical way somehow or be weather proof. Store bought plant hoops and supports are just way too expensive and they are always round. I tried a "bed frame" idea: make several legs and staple fencing on the tops...was too ugly and un-storeable and didn't even work good. I tried the twine idea: Many stakes all along and and twine back and forth, back and forth all down the row...twine stretched and sagged and finally broke...fishing line cut the leaves...flagging was too ugly and also stretched. I just don't know, do you???

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz