Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gladiolus grow through support grids

Posted by runswithscissors 4 montana (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 19:09

Looking for ideas. I've wracked my brains and tried different approaches, but still haven't solved the problem. As a family tradition one row of the garden is ALWAYS reserved for glads. (yes, soldiers in a row!) My row is usually 3 feet wide and 20 feet long...my father's is way longer. The trouble is, the heavy blooms flop even though they are planted close together and sort of support one another. (Dad lets his flop and I hate that look.) What I need is some sort of support system for the whole row. It has to be moveable to aid digging and planting...it can't look tooo awful, it has to be strong enough to hold the load...plus it has to be stored for winter in a practical way somehow or be weather proof. Store bought plant hoops and supports are just way too expensive and they are always round. I tried a "bed frame" idea: make several legs and staple fencing on the tops...was too ugly and un-storeable and didn't even work good. I tried the twine idea: Many stakes all along and and twine back and forth, back and forth all down the row...twine stretched and sagged and finally broke...fishing line cut the leaves...flagging was too ugly and also stretched. I just don't know, do you???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gladiolus grow through support grids

I buy a kind of hardware cloth(welded wire with openings of 2x4 inches) I use for my composting bins. Mine is four feet wide but I am sure it is available in narrower widths. I make stakes out of 1/2 inch EMT conduit which comes in 10 foot lengths which I cut in half. I think you could make your own appropriately size grid, and put it away for the winter. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here