Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

I need ID for these flowering bulbs?

ladyrose65
9 years ago

I've had the plants for several seasons thinking they were a weed. So I let them be. Now they have bloomed, but I don't know what they are?

Comments (8)

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

Ironically enough, I had a very similar post to yours a month or so ago:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/peren/msg032057236199.html

I was told "Star of Bethlehem." There are two varieties. It looks to me like I have one variety and you have the other.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/starbeth.htm

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You Sarah. But yours look identical? I see some people posted them as invasive? I've not had them become invasive...I just never remember planting them?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    9 years ago

It is only a matter of time before it drops seeds and spreads. I suggest you dig it and get it in the trash!

I just never remember planting them?
    It can catch a ride onto you property via another plant. Have friends shared things with you? It would only take one bulb being left in the soil or near roots to get started.

I honestly don't think that there is anything that is more of a thug than Star of Beth. Trust me!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: See my reply and pics at this link.

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

Rose,

From what I read I have the non - invasive variety and you have (at least according to what I've read) the invasive one.

I put a pic of mine in my post that I included the link to. Mine don't look exactly like yours, but similar. My problem with mine is I am not 100% sure I really like them. I actually like yours much better! But not if they take over everything of course.

Mine did make some very large seed pods. I threw out many of them, but I know I didn't get them all. So I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens with that.

Good luck!
    Sara

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If they become invasive, I'll just dig them up. I got a weed that is almost foot and 1/2 deep into the ground. To me nothing is more invasive than this weed.

Chemocurl, Thank You.

9 years ago

You're welcome.

I got a weed that is almost foot and 1/2 deep into the ground. To me nothing is more invasive than this weed.
    Are you opposed to Round-up? I've found that it will kill anything and everything other than Star of Beth. Round-Up is my friend.

I've recently started using a spreader-sticker (see link below). It seems to have made the Round-up work even better on honeysuckle vine, and multiflora roses and other weeds. Only 1 TBS is needed per gallon of mix in a pump sprayer.
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonide Turbo sticker

• sara82lee
    9 years ago

Roundup is my buddy too! Didn't know it wouldn't kill star of Bethlehem though! Thanks for sharing Sue!

9 years ago

You're welcome.

From the link below that I linked in the thread linked above...
    Star-of Bethlehem is known for being non-responsive to several herbicides. Dr.
    Bryan Young of the Southern Illinois University conducted research in no-till
    soybean and corn 2
    . Applications of paraquat (Gramoxone Max) at 0.75 lb ai/A,
    glyphosate (Roundupî, etc) at 0.77 lb ai/A, and 2,4-D were applied mid-April in
    2002 and then again in 2003 to 6 to 8 inch plants. Visual ratings were taken and bulbs were collected to investigate bulb biomass reduction. Paraquat provided 70 to 78% control at one year after the 2002 application. Plots which had received glyphosate or 2,4-D applications had less than 29% control one year after spring application. When compared to the non-treated plot (6,248 bulbs per 10.8 foot squared) the paraquat treated plots had 88% less bulb density. The use of 2,4-D resulted in an increase of bulbs. Growth regulators do not appear to be effective in controlling star-of-Bethlehem. So,at this point in the season, use of paraquat would be the recommended practice for control of this weed.

Though Round-up is my friend for thugs other than Star of Beth, I draw the line at the use of paraquat, which requires a special license to purchase and use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purdue Extension Weed Science