Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth Letting Daffodills Go To Seed?

Posted by ken_mce zone 4, NY (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 19:24

My daffodills are hard at work trying to make seed heads. Let's say I let them, let the seeds sprout. Will the new plants be anything worth having around?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth Letting Daffodills Go To Seed?

It takes a few years for a bulb seed to develop enough to produce a flower. So you might get nice flowers from the seeds in 3-4 years.

o

Will they be an attractive flower, or will they revert to some tiny, boring, wild form?

o

Do you have only one kind planted, or multiple kinds that are the same species? If you have only one kind planted I would expect at least half the offspring to look the same as the parents. You might get a few throwbacks (boring maybe, but not tiny because the tiny ones are mostly a different species than the large ones, not a wild form of them), but just discard any you don't like the first time they bloom. If you have multiple kinds of the same species you might get a big mix.

Personally I really like seeing any new crosses and mutants each year. I got almost 30 varieties of tulips, planted them all together, and am collecting the seed to germinate it and see what I get. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here