Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double narcissus falling over

Posted by gouramikeeper 4b US 5a %2 (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 19:56

I've got half a dozen different doubles and they all flop over as soon as the bloom is full - no rain or wind required. Has anyone any hints as to how to reduce this? Or, are they just poor selections & I should just get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double narcissus falling over

Are they crowded? Do they have sufficient light? That could etiolate them and weaken the stems.

o

Not crowded, more light than lots of others that are stem firm, leaves a clear green.

o

I frequently have the same problem. The only one that do not flop are the small flowered ones like Bridal Crown or Cheerfulness. The big doubles are just too heavy for their stems. I wish someone would hybridize doubles with shorter stems.

The big doubles also have bud blast (where the buds dry out without ever opening) at least half the time. I have a big stand of one (I think Mary Copeland) I have never yet seen bloom. Bud blast every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here