Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cut or not to cut? that is the question

Posted by llbean z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 20:22

Hi.
I am wondering, when should I cut back the foliage of my tulips and daffs? I have some wonderful tulips that I have sadly had to cut and bring in due to someone cutting them for their own personal use.. So how long should I wait before cutting back the unsightly foliage? Or do I not cut it?

I am zone 5..

Thanks for your time and help.

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cut or not to cut? that is the question

When the foliage flops over and has sizeable brown streaks in it, it is safe to cut it back. This also applies to hyacinths, leucojum, and pretty much all bulbs. The good news is hot weather seems to speed up the process.

o
RE: cut or not to cut? that is the question

The American Daffodil Society site advises that one wait six weeks (minimum) from the time the daffodil bloom has faded.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here