Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pull garlic

Posted by Jackleroy MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 20:29

From everything I've read, garlic shouldn't be ready to pull up for another month or two, but mine seems to be exhibiting signs or readiness. I planted a clove last fall and it sprouted pretty early this season. I was planning on waiting until late July or August to pull it up, but the bottom leaf has already turned brown along with the tips of the upper leaves. It's a softneck variety and is standing about six inches high.

Should I pull it or let it ride? I know deciding when to take it out of the ground is a tricky business and I've already dedicated so much time to it, I'd hate to make a mistake now.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pull garlic

They're about a foot high, not six inches.

o

Oh no, I think they could stay in the ground a bit longer. Mine are practically decrepit, brown and falling over before I lift the bulbs.Traditionally, they are harvested on the shortest day.....but this is in the UK.

o

You might try posting this in the Alliums forum. There's actually a fairly recent thread going on right now that would be of use to you.
I don't have much experience with garlic, but I have a 12 inch high 4x8 bed filled with it this year. Can't wait to get some of those experience points! lol

Abby

o

Great, thanks. I'll post over there right now

o

I'm no expert on these, but here's my 2¢: I have a lot of garlic that grew from just a few cloves from 30 years ago. Here in NE US, I leave my bulbs alone until fall, when they've usually produced bulbils too. I removed a large bunch of them that were in the way and laid them out in the garage. I was very surprised to see that when the leaves had dried, the bulbs seemed to have grown noticeably by absorbing the water from the leaves. So, when you do pull them, tie the leaves loosely together and let them hang until cured.

As a side note, I picked up this handy trick: when you are ready to peel the 'paper' off the cloves, place the separated cloves in a medium bowl, place another bowl inverted over the first, and holding the edges together, shake it as hard as you can for 30 seconds. the cloves should be stripped, and no garlick-y fingers. It works for me!

Good luck!

--Rick in CT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here