Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing winter overed Princess Lily

Posted by jacqui_ontario z5 Ont (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 20:34

I have several 10 inch pots of Alstroemeria Princess Lilies which I wintered over in a combo of unheated porch and cool basement. The pots are lush with growth. I`ve read the first growth is support stems and the flowering stems will appear after those.

The plants are in a soiless mix and the stems about 5 inches high. I fertilized with Miracle Gro about a month ago. What should I be using as fertilizer... I`ve read advice suggesting low nitrogen such as tomato or an annual flower solution like Miracle Gro.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing winter overed Princess Lily

I have about a hundred Alstromeria in one gallon pots. They get so full of roots they need to be repoted and divided. When I repot I add time delay fertilizer 18-6-12 one teaspoon per pot. Several areas of the garden also are planted with Alstromeria. In the garden I do not fertilize, as they don't need it. Earlier in the year I pulled all the stems in the ground, and they have now regrown and are both blooming and falling on the ground. The frequent rain and cool temperatures are partly responsible. In the pot they depend on fertilizer, but I would suggest a weak solution not high in any number. You may have to pull your first stems before you get any bloom, but I would be careful to only pull the largest stems and always leave at least one or two small stems. Al

o
RE: Fertilizing winter overed Princess Lily

Thanks Al,
I have pulled some larger stems perhaps a fourth of them. And I'll give an application of weak Miracle Gro.
Jacqui

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here