Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I move my summer bulbs?

Posted by annie60004 NE OH (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 20:53

So I planted a few bulbs about 10 days ago. I planted two peony in containers, several asiatic lilies, several gladiolus, and a dahlia. I was unsure what I was doing with the dahlia and about 2 days ago I was looking at what was sticking out of the ground from the dahlia and ended up digging it up because I thought I planted it wrong (I know bad move). So I have the tuber? and don't know if I should put it back in the ground, divide it and replant or what. Also, due to poor planning, I want to move the rest of the bulbs. I have one bulb starting to sprout, but that's the only one. Can I safely move them, will they still bloom, or should I leave them where they are for this year? Finally, the peonies seem to have a stick or brown stem poking up through the soil, is that normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I move my summer bulbs?

I think you could move them providing you do it carefully so as not to damage any roots which have formed already, do it immediately and water well.

Peony isn't a bulb but a fleshy root. It is not adapted to spend time out of the ground in a dry state as bulbs can. The 'stick' is last year's stem.

If your dahlia is a single tuber do not divide it. Multiple tubers can sometimes be divided but it sounds as if you are a beginner so, even if it looks as if it could be divided, I'd leave it alone until you are more familiar with them. You need to be able to tell which pieces could survive on their own and which won't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here