Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage

Posted by burwoodbelle 6-7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 20:53

The foliage is starting to fall over on my daffs ,How long till I can cut them dowm.Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage

The ideal practice is to leave the foliage intact and in place until it ripens, dries and dies off naturally. The foliage is needed for photosynthesis, which is required for the bulbs to regenerate their energy reserves that are stored in the bulbs during their dormant period and produce next season's flowers.

Ripening bulb foliage is not very attractive and there is a strong urge to remove it as soon as it becomes ratty looking :-) But the bulbs need it. Generally, 6-8 weeks after bloom is considered the minimum period necessary for the remaining foliage to do its job, so try not to cut back or remove before this time has lapsed.

o
RE: Foliage

Pat -- if you have space, grow daylilies near your daffs -- they allow daff foliage to ripen naturally and then cover up the really unsightly yellow-brown daff leaves. as the daylily clumps get bigger, you can divide them so that they don't over-grow the daffs completely (gettting free plants to boot!). i never cut my daff foliage and remove it only when thoroughly brown. gotta feed those bulbs, ya know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here