Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting or getting rid of 'Naked Ladies'

Posted by evpoole 7a (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 21:10

For the longest time we had this foliage come up with the daffodils and no flower and later had pink blossoms in August. I never associated the two with each other until I pulled a bunch of the foliage out last year and realized our "Naked Ladies" didn't come up. But now they are back with a vengeance. I love the flower, but the foliage is in the middle of our front yard and makes a real mess. I would love to either transplant them to a different location or give them away to someone who has a more appropriate place for them. I am not sure whether these are Lycoris squamigera or amaryllus belladonna. When can I transplant them and what can I do to keep them from returning where they were? And does anyone in Northern Virginia want to come get some?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting or getting rid of 'Naked Ladies'

I would transplant them when dormant in the fall. You will have to be sure to get them all to prevent their return. They are better planted in an out of the way location where they can be ignored except when in bloom. Most will not bloom if not in a full sun location. Al

o

I dug mine out and threw them into the woods, and guess what, they're growing!

o

If you want to transplant them, I love them interplanted among ferns and dwarf Nandinas. When they bloom in late summer, it looks like the ferns and Nandinas are blooming. Their winter foliage just blends in with the nandinas and fills the space of the ferns.

If you want to trade them, I'd love to have some and could send you some Lycoris Radiata (red spider lilies) which are a different "nekkid lady".

o

I planted Naked Ladies between my Irises, the Irises came up, but the ladies did not. Could they have gotten too wet? I planted Morning Glories and Cosmos in the bed too, would it be a good idea to dig them up and replant them or should I just get some more and plant them somewhere else? How can I tell if they are rotten? I don't want to screw them up if they are just getting established. What should I do?

o

liz62 your post does not give a location. If you are talking Amaryllis Belladonna the naked lady of the west, you should know the growth habit of the plant. It grows foliage over the winter, disappears in the spring, sends up a bloom stalk in August from the apparent bare earth. When planted it can take several years to bloom, while growing foliage normally. The same is true if just moved in your own garden. It will survive and bloom without summer water, but will not bloom without good summer sun. Al

o

Chances are that if it got so wet to rot your bulbs, it would have also rotted your irises. As Al said, it can take lyrcoris a few years to settle in and bloom after they have been freshly planted (or transplanted). Watch this fall (late) for green strappy foliage coming up among your irises. It will look similar to daffodil foliage, though wider or narrower depending on which Naked Lady you have. If it comes up, leave it alone. The bulbs are fine. They should bloom for you in another year or two. Thereafter, they will come up and bloom without any leaves each year and then put up leaves as the bloom stalks die. You must always leave the leaves alone. They will stand throughout the winter and then die back to the ground in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here