Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Globemaster in part sun---still beautiful! (pic)

Posted by joannemb 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 21:15

I was a bit wary about planting Globemaster in my front yard facing East in only 4-5 hrs. morning sun. But I took a leap of faith and planted 30 (yes, 30) of them last Fall and crossed my fingers. Well needless to say, they are just beautiful--what a show! Not vollyball size, but a good size larger than soft balls, they are really pretty. Everyone who walks by comments on "those whimsical purple balls...what in the world are they?" Just thought I'd post a picture for anyone who is on the fence about trying them in part sun.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Globemaster in part sun---still beautiful! (pic)

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting.

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 0:21

very pretty...

Izhar

o

They're beautiful and full, but they're using the energy that was already stored in the bulb when you planted them last fall. The real test will be how well they come back next year and the year after that. You may see them come back smaller each year if they don't get enough sun on their leaves to store up energy for the next year's flowers.

I've had another kind of allium that got smaller over the years as the shrubs around them grew and shaded them. But they were getting less than your four to five hours of sunshine. That may well be enough. I don't know. Good luck with them!

o

Oh yes, their leaves don't get much sun at all---they are really hidden behind the boxwoods. Will be interesting to see what happens next year.

o
But....interesting to note:

I just read the following on a website:

"We supply large bulbs, in the nature of things these will split to produce smaller flowers in the second year, and as these grow larger again flower size will increase."

So maybe I should expect smaller flowers either way next year (sun or not) because this is just 'what they do.' As the bulb grows larger, in subsequent years so will the flowers. We shall see.... A couple of mine are much shorter with smaller heads (and are getting exactly the same amount of sun)-- so maybe they were just smaller bulbs.

Maybe the size of the flower head has less to do with the amount of sun, and more to do with the size of the bulb at any given year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here