Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old, tired Globemaster allium bulbs

Posted by auntlavender Chicago/Zone5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 21:24

The big, beautiful Allium Globemaster bulbs that were planted in my garden when I moved here ten years ago are now a shadow of their former selves--they're so much smaller and spindly, even.

I understand bulbs can lose their vigor after a time, and I have babied them with compost after they flower, is there any way to bring them back to their former glory? Is it doable to try and grow new ones from the seeds? If so, they still be "globemaster"?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old, tired Globemaster allium bulbs

I would dig them up and divide them.

o

Can I do this after they flower and the leaves die back?

o

Yup, perfect time to do it is after the leaves yellow. Dig some of that compost down to where the bulbs are planted and they should bulk up again. I like to replant in a new spot since it seems some plants tire out the soil and will do well moving around every few years.

o

Thank you. I would love to do what I can to rejuvenate these as new ones are pricey. I was thinking of moving them anyway.

o

Over time, the growth of trees can make more shade on an area that had more sun a decade before. Maybe a factor?

o

Why yes---a giant pine has been steadily getting bigger these ten years. Time for dividing and moving.

o

Globemaster will not reproduce from seeds, as it is a sterile cultivar. Probably why they are so expensive. The bulbs split in half, and can be carefully separated and replanted in a sunnier spot. Given some time to adjust, they should bloom well for you again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here