Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery flower?

Posted by started_with_bean Zone 5--MA (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 21:33

My friend got these from family without a tag, and they bloomed but she has no idea what they are. Anyone hazard a guess?

mystery flower 2, mystery flower 2

Mystery flower 1, mystery flower 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery flower?

I don't have to guess, I know exactly what it is, I have a bunch of them I originally purchased from Van Engelen a while back. It is Nectaroscordum siculum ssp. Bulgaricum, common name is 'Mediterranean Bells' in the trade, although frankly I think that is mostly a made up name for marketing purposes, a la "Kiwi Fruit" or "Portabella". Anyone I know who has ever talked about it just calls it Nectaroscordum.

It used to be in the genus Allium until the botanists decided it needed its own genus, but some catalogs and websites still list it as an Allium.

Very easy to grow, trouble free, nothing seems to bother it, and it multiplies, although not as fast as some Alliums do.

Also makes a great cut flower for novelty/specialty use due to the unusual color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalog listing at Brent and Becky's Bulbs

o

What a nice picture, mine are a crowded mess that always flops over. If it was more upright I would love it.

o

What a nice picture, mine are a crowded mess that always flops over. If it was more upright I would love it.

o

Thank you, denninmi! Mystery solved!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here