Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taraleigh_gw

first timer planting daffodils...need help please!!! thanks!

taraleigh
14 years ago

Hi, I have no flower or planting experience, so I was wondering if someone could help answer a few questions.

I am considering planting daffodils next fall along a stone wall that gets a good deal of sun. I haven't measure it, but I believe it is about 30 feet long.

Would 100 daffodil bulbs be enough? Most of what i read says to plant the bulbs 5 inches apart... so if i do the math correctly 100 should be more than enough right?

Does size really matter (of bulbs of course:)? I am seeing some good prices at bloomingbulb.com but i noticed the bulb size is smaller . Many 12-14 cm in size. How does size of the bulb make a difference? Is it better to go bigger than this?

I would like something bold. I was thinking of doing dutch master trumpet daffodils, but then saw something called fortissimo which really looked beautiful and more interesting.

Does anyone have an opinion on which they like better? Does one tend to multiply more than the other? Does one tend to do better in the massachusetts area - zone 6? Any other suggestions?

I could get 100 fortissimo for 35 dollars with 12-14 cm bulbs (plus 10% off for being a new customer). I have also seen some at daffodildepot.com that are bigger bulbs (16cm) and are 60.00 for 100. Is it worth paying this much more for bigger bulbs? What will be the difference?

Thank you so much for helping a newbie and hopefully a longtime gardener.

Comments (4)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

but then saw something called fortissimo which really looked beautiful and more interesting.
    I had Fortissimo bloom for me the first time this spring, and I was really WOWED by it, and thought it was very showy. I liked it a lot better than the all yellow Dutch Master.

Does one tend to multiply more than the other?
    Not sure if one is more prolific than the other.

Does one tend to do better in the Massachusetts area - zone 6?
    I think both would do equally well in your zone.

Is it worth paying this much more for bigger bulbs? What will be the difference?
    I don't think there would be enough difference to pay that much more for bulbs that are just a little bigger. Chances are that all of the 12-14 cm bulbs would bloom just fine for you...possibly with the blooms a very little bit smaller.

Would 100 daffodil bulbs be enough? Most of what i read says to plant the bulbs 5 inches apart... so if i do the math correctly 100 should be more than enough right?
    If it was me, I would sort of plant either 3 or 5 bulbs in a big hole, trying to space them with about 2-3" between them. I would prefer several blooming in bouquets, than what I would a line of blooms all in row. Possibly others will have input on the spacing and planting though.

Welcome to the wonderful world of growing daffs. They are easy, and carefree and will reward you with beautiful springtime blooms for years and years, with only an occasional need to dig and divide them if they get too thick.

Sue...a daff fanatic

• taraleigh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you... I probably will get the fortissimo then. the picture of them on daffodildepot.com is stunning!!!! I will take your advice and buy the cheaper and small CM size bulb.

Is it silly to put an order through this early for the fall? Or should I wait and see if better deals come out? If i order some now, will i get old stock or will I get nice new bulbs when fall comes? As long as they aren't being shipped now, I would imagine I will be fine. It looks like bloomingbulbs.com ijust has you preorder for shipment in the fall.

Thank you again!!!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Is it silly to put an order through this early for the fall?
    Not at all.

Or should I wait and see if better deals come out?
    That sounds like a 'good' price to me, and if you wait to maybe find them late in the season when the sales are started, you risk them maybe being sold out.

If i order some now, will i get old stock or will I get nice new bulbs when fall comes? As long as they aren't being shipped now, I would imagine I will be fine. It looks like bloomingbulbs.com ijust has you preorder for shipment in the fall.
    Yes, you are thinking correctly...you should be receiving fresh 'new' bulbs at the appropriate planting time for your area. The bulb companies, I'm sure like to see bulbs ordered before the last minute, like when they are wanting to wrap up the season by having sales.

Glad to help.

Sue

• ladychroe
    14 years ago

I also recommend against planting in a long, straight line, especially if you plant them single file. Clumps of different bulbs swirling around each other (think paisley when planting) with close attention to color and bloom time would be much more bold and attractive, to my eyes anyway.

These pics are mostly tulips and stuff, but you get the idea anyway. Mix stuff up - have fun! Colorblends.com is a good place to get ideas. So is BrentAndBeckysBulbs.com; they have a column on the right of plants with similar bloom times.

{{gwi:18762}}

{{gwi:15676}}

{{gwi:18763}}

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks