Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
allium question

Posted by fivefootmenace 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 21:44

So in my back garden the previous homeowner has a lot of daylilies (that decided to multiply by the thousands this year) very closely in front of some irises. Does anyone think I can plant globemaster alliums behind the lilies this fall? Or do you think the lilies won't let them come up? I'm just so impatient waiting all this time for some color back there...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: allium question

Are your iris beardeds or non-beardeds?

Bearded iris 'travel' & daylilies enlarge. How much empty space is between the two? If you have beardeds of the same color, now is the perfect time to remove some.

o

what do you mean but 'travel' and 'enlarge'? It does look pretty crowded back there and if all it takes is thinning it out to get some alliums back there then consider it done.

o

My allium are thriving in the daylily bed. I just stuck them in wherever I could find a bit of room three years ago and they have come back each year.

o

fantastic news! thanks for the help! Looks like I'll be placing my fall order including some new awesome alliums!

o

'Travel' for bearded iris means the rhizome grows babies and they are adjacent. They grow babies which are adjacent and in 3-4 years the living rhizomes are away from the original mother rhizomes.

'Enlarge' for daylilies means new growth occurs around the original fans so the clump is wider. The center does not die off as it does with bearded iris.

There are forums for both daylilies & iris for information about dividing or google will bring up information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here