Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will Caladium Bulbs last?

Posted by Mordans WV (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 21:48

Do to haveing my roof replaced, I will be unable to plant my caladiums this year. How long can I keep them stored before they are no longer viable?

I am currently storing them in a burlap bag packed with pearlite, if that makes any diffrence.

Thank you for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will Caladium Bulbs last?

How about growing them in a pot?

o

I am thinking of buying caladium bulbs on sale this year, but, not actually planting them until next spring. Will they still be viable? Can I leave them in their box in an indoor closet until then?

o

you have to plant the corms and grow them this summer. do it in pots.
otherwise they will dry up by next spring.
it is already too late as is - they take close to 2 months to develop good roots and leaves - and then the summer is over and they won't grow when soil temps drop to below 65F. and they don't like day temps below 70F - that will trigger decline.
it's a very bad idea to buy corms that late in the season, unless you'll be growing them in greenhouse come fall.
what you could do is buy potted leafed out plants in pots - at any time in summer and let them grow till they decline in fall (pots or ground). then overwinter in pots. and replant next spring.
it's best to start them shallow and in pots on heating mat like begonia tubers - the roots need 70F temps to grow well. then you can plant them out in the garden.
of course, now that it's warm a sunny window sill will serve as a heating mat of sorts. the reason you need to start shallow and warm - they are very rot prone just like begonias. you need to water them just right until they have 1st few leaves. and outside they will just rot if it's rainy all the time and cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here