Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suecirish

Do you know this Daffodil?

suecirish
14 years ago

Does anyone know the name of this Daffodil? I saw them in several places around Ireland and just loved them. I'd like to try to find some for my own garden at home.

{{gwi:18869}}From IrelandTrip2009

Comments (13)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I was told at a recent daffodil show that there are approximately 25,000 different daffodil cultivars around the world. One could probably only have a chance of making a positive identification on it by someone with a trained eye, who had 2 blooms side by side to know for sure what it was.

Do you remember if there was more than one bloom per stem?

Sue

14 years ago

If you have friends or family in Ireland, chances are they would have a much better chance of maybe getting an ID on it if it is maybe a more common one there. Just as there are some that are more commonly sold here, I imagine there are more common ones there.

You might try asking the group linked below. There is a contact link on their page. They could maybe tell you what it might be since it looks like it had been used in a mass planting.

If you do find its name, you might have a very hard time finding it to buy.

It sort of looks like Pipit.

Googles image results for Pipit

Pipit at Daffseek

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Ireland Daffodil Group

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I love it too.

I couldn't find one like it at this link but there are some with similar form.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=DA&page=2

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Another link to photos of Pipit at Daves Garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipit

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sue and iris gal. I have looked at LOTS of pictures of Pipit and I don't think that is it, though it is similar. There are so many cultivars of daffodils!!!!! Just thought I'd put up the pic and see if anybody recognized it right away.

Sue there was only one bloom per stem. The flower itself was a bit smaller than the standard daffodil. I do have family there, but it was mostly blooming in another part of the country (at the time I was there) and they are not avid enough gardeners to keep track of what they plant. Haven't yet, but I will check the N. Ireland group.

14 years ago

If you provide a pic and explain it was in a mass planting there they will likely know what it is, as it is probably a common prolific one there, just as Ice Follies and others are here.

I gotta tell you though...you may not be able to find it for sale in the US, but may have to try and order from an Ireland vendor. I see the link on their page Daffodil Links does not work. I thought they might have some vendors listed.

Sue

• beetleman
    14 years ago

Not sure which link does not work- try the american daffodil website, your photo sure looks like a jonquil- unusual to have single blossoms- check out photos of "Intrigue"

Here is a link that might be useful: specialty bulb sources

• beetleman
    14 years ago

somewhat close to yours

Here is a link that might be useful: Dickcissel

• beetleman
    14 years ago

there are several- this one may be yours

Here is a link that might be useful: mockingbird

14 years ago

Ok...I really think it is Pipit.

Check out the pic below, particularly the bloom at the bottom. It looks to be a more mature bloom and the color of yours. The shape of the petals and how the don't overlap much appear the same, as does the cup.

The foliage for Pipit is described as rush-like, and it appears it is in your pic. It also looks like there is a stem in the background that does have 2 blooms on it.

Pipit, is easily found for sale on line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipit at Daffseek

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Chemocurl ~~ she says there's only one bloom per stem.

I do know I want Pipit now!

14 years ago

Chemocurl ~~ she says there's only one bloom per stem.
    Yes, I know, but that Division #7 'usually' has more than one bloom per stem, but it is not all that uncommon for them to just have one bloom per stem.

Suecirish,

Are you pretty certain that most all, (or all) of them were single blooms per stem?

I believe the coloring on your daff is a reverse bicolor, meaning the petals are yellow and the cup white.

I know this is not your daff, but here is my Hillstar another bicolor. The pic is clickable, I think.
    {{gwi:18870}}

I do know I want Pipit now!
    Whoo-Hoo! I can see we may have a new daff addict here soon. Hope so!

Sue

• suecirish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, after looking at all those pics of Pipit, I decided I wanted some anyway, whether it was my Irish one or not...LOL! So I just ordered 10 bulbs for the fall. It could be the one, but I'll see when next spring. I have decided it is definitely a N. jonquilla, and Pipit is the closest I have seen. It is readily available for sale in the UK as well as in the US.

Sue, my memory tells me there was only only one bloom per stem, but that could be wrong. Wish I had taken more pics.