Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to cut down only tulips?

Posted by Miss.Fernandez 6a (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 22:30

I'm new to bulbs and I have been reading a lot on this site about when to cut down the foliage. I've seen a lot of people say to cut down foliage for Daffodils but not too many say about Tulips. Tulips need photosynthesis too?

Is it ok to cut down the stem now and let the foliage brown down (for both tulips and Daffodils) and cut later? Im attaching a picture of then now. I have Crocus, Daffodils and Tulips. Can I just cut now?!?!? I really want to use that area to highlight some smaller annuals. They stopped blooming about 4 weeks ago.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to cut down only tulips?

Stem may be cut but foliage left just like other bulbs.

However, many people find the 2nd year bloom of tulips not worth it and cut off the foliage. If you plant summer annuals which require water, that water will aid in disintegration (rot) of the tulip bulbs.

o

OK. So that means that the area where I plant bulbs, I shouldn't plant annuals? Can I plant summer blooming bulbs or that's the same thing?

o

In my experience you can certainly plant annuals. Just put them between the bulbs. They'll help hide the dying foliage. Or use perennials and intersperse with bulbs. I have bulbs throughout my garden and it's a mixture of perennials, bulbs, shrubs and small trees. I never need to water the garden but we do have plentiful rainfall and the bulbs are not affected. A bed in spring:

o
The same bed in late Summer

The bulbs are still in there and are unaffected by the later growth. (From the other direction)

o

Wow!! Nice Pictures Floral_UK!!!! Thanks! I'll see what I can do. I also thought this was going to be a nice thing to do a bulb 'sandwich' by planting Tulips first then above that, Daffodils, then above that Crocus. I guess I should plan better. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulb Sandwich How To

o

There are daffodils, crocus and hyacinths in that bed. But no tulips because it is fairly shady. They are on the opposite side of the garden. I use layering in containers but in the garden I just plant wherever there's a space. All the Hyacinths are from bulbs which were forced and then planted out in the ground. BTW I mistitled the picture - it should be 'late spring' not 'late summer'. As you can see there are bleeding hearts and Welsh poppies there which do not flower in late summer.

o

Miss Fernandez, tulip bulbs like to be dry in the summer. I have some regular returnees that are in dry hot baked soil all summer. Others I put in pots that are moved & left dry all summer.

My daffodils, muscari, hyacinths, brodiaea, alliums, freesia Dutch iris, ixia, sparaxis and homeria do fine with the roses, perrenials and annuals. Summer blooming dahlias, gladiolus & lilies do fine in the mixed bed.

Your soil, watering schedule and summer/winter temperatures will all play a part in success. Sunset has a good basic booklet on bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here