Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs going dormant already? (Yellow & dead)

Posted by ponderosa-alpenglow 6 (Pine Mountain, CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 22:31

It's spring time here and it's been in the 60's and 70's. I have two hills in my front yard, one has irises, which are thriving and one that has alliums, crocus, grape hyacinth and daffodils. The alliums, crocus, grape hyacinth and daffodils all sprouted after the last freeze, looked great and about a month later (now) are yellow, brown and dead. What could it be? I have had luck in the spot before with my crocus. They bloomed twice last year.

I give them a soak once a week (same as the irises). Too much water? Too little? They are also mulched.

Should I just mulch over all the dead stuff now and stop watering? Will they come back later in the year?

Any advice would be awesome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs going dormant already? (Yellow & dead)

These are planted on hills and I would expect are very well drained. I have bedding plants planted on hills here that I need to water 3 times a week. Al

o

They are supposed to die back after flowering.

o

As BorS states, they are supposed to die back after flowering. Spring flowering bulbs bloom once a year in spring, die back and go dormant in summer and do not reappear again in any form until winter. And they prefer to be kept quite dry when dormant.

I have never, ever, heard of a reblooming crocus!! Are you sure that's what you were seeing? There are some crocus that DO bloom in fall but those that bloom in fall do not bloom in spring as well.

Iris are an entirely different kettle of fish :-) There are rhizimatous, bulbous or plain old fleshy rooted iris so dormancy with these plants is very different depending on type. Some are virtually evergreen in appearance.

o

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm happy, sounds like I didn't kill them.

My husband just refreshed my memory that the crocus bloomed in November (flowers only) and the came back, just leaves this April.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here