Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After tulips and daffs finish blooming

Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 22:34

I have heard many different opinions on how one should handle tulips and daffodils after they have finished blooming. My dear MIL used to fold down the foliage and put a rubber band around it and let it die back. I've heard of people, even landscapers folding them down and tying green garden yarn around the foliage, to make it look neater. Waiting till the foliage dies back seems like a lengthy time. I want to get mulching my beds and I started the backyard beds tonight after dinner until I ran out of mulch. There is only a few bulbs in those flowerbeds and they are Iris bulbs that have popped up over the winter that previous owner had planted years ago. About 4 yrs. ago I dug up them all up and gave them away. I remember in digging the rest of the flowerbed up last summer, I found some more Iris rhrizones and replanted them, One is blooming now, and there are a few more but no sign of blooms or even buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After tulips and daffs finish blooming

What I've read on various sites is to let them die back naturally without tying back. The reasoning is that the more surface area of the plant that is exposed to the sun, the more food the bulb can store for the next year's blooms. Some people treat tulips as annuals, in which case you could probably go ahead and cut them down or dig them out. If not, I'd leave the leaves alone. Can you mulch around the stems until time to cut them back?

o

The famous Filoli gardens in Woodside California puts in large beds of tulips inter seeded with Cynoglossum amabile, which grow to about 2 feet tall with airy blue flowers. They are very effective in concealing the tulips after the bloom. The timing in their case is just right and the tulip and cover crop are all planted at the same time. Al

o

If you tie them up or otherwise block their access to the sun you will reduce the vigor of the plant and you may not get flowers next year.

They should be unmolested. I cover mine up with various perennials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here