Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 3 Hardy Bulbs

Posted by kimoore 3 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 22:49

I live in zone 3, in NE, Nevada. What bulbs can I plant in my zone, besides tulips and daffodils, (those do really well and are very beautiful,) but Im looking for other varieties. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 3 Hardy Bulbs

I dont have a green thumb when it comes to flowers, (i can grow fruits and veg like nobodys buisness, lol,) but flowers, not so much. I would like stuff that will come back and come back strong year after year.

o

nothing?

o

Are you looking for spring or summer flowering bulbs? Some spring flowering bulbs that come to mind are chionodoxia, scilla siberica, grape hyacinth, pushkinia, crocus. These are all small but very pretty. Botanical tulips are also quite attractive and very different from regular tulips in that they are small and very hardy. My favorite is tulip tarda.

o

Awesome! I would like to plant spring and summer flowering bulbs. Right now Im trying out sunchokes, and they are doing really well. I also like the idea dual purpose planting. When the sunchokes start to take over, i can dig them up and eat them. Any summer blooming bulbs? and the ones you mentioned above, theyre zone 3 hardy? Im assuming they are.

o

I'm actually zone 2b and all these bulbs grow well in my garden. Summer bulbs I grow include dahlias, eucomis, canna and calla lilies. These are not hardy and must be dug in the fall (or planted in pots which I do) and stored indoors over the winter. There are many others to choose from.

o

Alliums are also hardy depending on the variety; I grow Purple Sensation, Globemaster and Christophii. Some list these as only hardy to zone 4 or 5 but I have no problem growing them. They bloom late spring to early summer and are a good bridge between spring and summer bloomers.

o

Great! Thanks for the help everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here