Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID a flowering Plant

Posted by wally-1936 (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 23:05

I don't have a picture of this plant in fact I don't have any plants now. When I lived down near the coast there was these clumps of what I thought was monkey grass, but then late in the summer they had blooms like a small red Amaryllis bloom woud come up on a slender stem. They were from a bulb something like a onion set about the size of your thumb. What I would like is the name so I could try to find them again to plant in my yard. It is such a nice supprise to see them come up so quickly. I didn't even know they were there in the middle of my yard which I was mowing every week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID a flowering Plant

Maybe Schizostylis Coccinea or sprekelia formosissima? Sprekelia is a larger bulb though.

o

Could it be Oxblood Lily Rhodophiala bifida?

Nell

o

Oxblood lily is probably the best guess, but another possibility is Lycoris radiata, though to most folks, the bloom is not like amaryllis other than in color (memory can be tricky, though). Another obscure possibility is Polianthes (Mexican Firecracker). If you google all these guesses and look for photos, maybe you will be able to figure this out. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here