Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Australia question

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 23:45

Cross posted in Canna forum but it seems quiet there so I an posting this here too.

Planted some canna australia bulbs purchased from Brenand Becky's with over a foot of foliage. It is in full sun, well drained with hot afternoon sun. I grew regular cannas in that location last year.
After two weeks, the leaves look like they are greening a little bit. In addition, some of the smaller outer leaves have shrivelled and dried up. The rest of the foliage however is erect and not droopy. I was watering daily initially but have eased off due to concern of overwatering. Now its every third day although they sprinklers hit it 3 times a week as well. The soil was layered with compost before planting.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By miclino at 2012-05-27

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By miclino at 2012-05-27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Australia question

The damage on the lower leaves is just transplant shock (for lack of a better term) -- probably actually sun and wind burn. My potted cannas always grow a little in the basement or garage before I put them outside for the season, and the first leaves usualy fry. No problem, they are such rampant growers they recover very quickly.

The loss of deep pigmentation you describe could just be the foliage maturing and getting more chlorophyll and spreading out the other pigments over a bigger surface area as it expands to full size. Or, perhaps it needs some more fertilizer and they're getting pale -- a shot of miracle gro or similar couldn't hurt.

o

I agree, it is sunburn/shock from being planted out from greenhouse and boxed.

My own look the same after bringing out of the greenhouse and dividing them and putting them into full sun right away.

o

Thanks, that helps.

o

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Twenty years ago a friend sent me some seeds from her garden she said were Canna species. I have been growing them ever since. They produce a great quantity of seed, and the plant seems free of any pests or disease. If it has a variety designation, I would like to know it. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here