Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for pretty flower/bulbs/alliums

Posted by jerryngeorgia31557 8 (jerryfkimbrell@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 23:51

I am looking for allium bulbs that is for looks/pretty flowers and not anything else. I don't care about the onion and garlic smells unless they have pretty blooms. I have tried glads, tulips and freesa's and they never came back after the 1st year. I planted 900 glad bulbs, 50 tulips and 75 freeza's year before last and nothing came of them last year. I guess it is because of being located in SE Georgia and the heat and wet weather. I do not have any bulbs to trade but I do have yellow Lady Banks rose cuttings to trade.
Would someone give me advise on what to use even if you don't want to trade. I think you would love the lady banks roses though. I appreciate this site so much and have found some great people to deal with.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for pretty flower/bulbs/alliums

I have no bulbs for trade, nor advice but I can tell you what bulbs I successfully grow in zone 8b SW GA.

What grows for me in the hottest, most humid part of the state are certain daffodils: jonquillas, triandrus types, miniatures and cyclamineus types; hyacinths do well for me. Those are the early spring bulbs.

Late spring: agapanthus, amaryllis, Longiflorum/Asiatic hybrid lilies, and Calla lilies.
In summer: crocosmia, crinum, caladium, colocasia, Oriental/Trumpet lilies and their hybrids; cannas

In late summer and fall: lycoris and sternbergia

I've grown tulips and freesias. Like yours they didn't come back. Tulips are too much trouble, freesias prefer greenhouse treatment. The alliums I planted didn't grow, either. Glads do come back for me sometimes but not always.

Bulbs that have not done well for me include dahlias, tuberoses and muscari. I saw blooms but not increase.

Recommended bulbs that I have not tried include leucojum and zepharanthes, but I have seen these growing in gardens in Grady County.

BrentandBeckysBulbs have their summer bulbs on sale until June 1.

Nell

o
RE: Looking for pretty flower/bulbs/alliums

Hi Jerry, I've gotten allium to perform pretty well here in NC. I planted some of these 'Alpine Rosy Bells' a few years ago and they've gotten really thick. Daffodils do really well for me too. If I were you, I'd also try Hippeastrum (aka Amaryllis). I'm sure they'd over winter for you. I'm going to try some here outside this winter. Below is a picture of my allium from mid-April. Good luck! Alana

From GardenWeb pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here