Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering dormant bulbs

Posted by bartjones (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 0:06

So last fall I planted some crocuses and daffodils in containers. I left them outside on the patio over the winter and in the spring they popped up and bloomed nicely. They are now done blooming and I left them in a sunny spot after they were done and watered them once a week. Now the foliage has all died back and turned brown. I'm hoping they will come back next spring but am wondering this. While they are dormant, do I need to give them any water? I know ranunculus bulbs don't like water while they are dormant. What about crocuses and daffodils?

Second question is the same but with respect to freesias which I planted in containers outside in the fall and brought indoors after we began to get close to frost time. They also bloomed wonderfully indoors from January to about April. I moved them outside again in late April, left them in a sunny spot and watered them about once a week. The foliage has now died and I'm hoping they will come back next fail. How often should I water them if at all?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering dormant bulbs

If your container soil is good quality fast draining soil less mix, I would keep the containers in a shady or partial shady area to keep the soil temperature down in the summer. Occasional water or rain water will be OK and they will remain dormant through the heat of summer. Well drained soil is the key to keeping bulbs in the containers year around with no rotting. Al

o

It's not a soilless mix but it does drain very well, so it sounds like I'm okay to just leave them outside.

o

In a shady area.

Since they're potted, remember to begin fertilizing when leaves show. Low nitrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here