Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing Gladiolus

Posted by chengpu42 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 0:46

I am trying to grow a bunch of gladiolus for my upcoming wedding on Sept 21st. Can anybody provide some insight on how well gladiolas grow in the PNW. I am located in Auburn, Wa (zone 8a) and most info says they will bloom in 75-90 days. I am wondering in our weather if that still holds true. The soil they are going in is good quality and they are going to get 6 hours full sun everyday from 10am to 4pm the rest will be partial-sun and shade.

I have 110 Green Star, 108 Plum Tart, 90 random purple (from hollandbulbfarm), and 90 random white (from hollanbulbfarm). My plan was to stagger plant them so the projected bloom date will be Sept 16th 5 days before the wedding so the buds should be mid way in flowering. So i would plant 40% on June 9th (90 days out), 40% on June 26th (82 days out), and 20% on July 4th (75 days) out).

How long will the flowers last on the plant if they bloom early (i am guessing 2 weeks), is 90/82/75 days to bloom realistic in this zone, and is targeting a bloom time of 5 days before the wedding about right? Anybody have any insights into timing gladiolas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing Gladiolus

I have always planned glads to bloom in 90 days from planting and have not been disappointed in our climate. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here